I am currently:
- A Senior Research Fellow at Cambridge University’s Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH) where I work on the Conspiracy and Democracy and the Centre for Digital Knowledge projects.
- Vice-President of Wolfson College, Cambridge
- Emeritus Professor of the Public Understanding of Technology at the Open University
- An Adjunct Professor at University College, Cork
My most recent book, From Gutenberg to Zuckerberg: What You Really Need to Know About the Internet, is published by Quercus Books. A US edition has recently been published.
- Along with Sir Richard Evans and David Runciman, I am a PI on a five-year Leverhulme-funded project on Conspiracy and Democracy which is based in the Cambridge Centre for Research in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (CRASSH);
- I am a PI with David Runciman on the politics and democracy strand of the new Cambridge Centre for Digital Knowledge (also based in CRASSH).
- Internet columnist of the London Observer. You can find an archive of my Networker columns here and some of my essays and longer pieces here;
- Emeritus Fellow of Wolfson College and Director of the College’s Press Fellowship Programme;
- Academic Adviser to the Arcadia Project at Cambridge University Library a project that ran from 2008-2012 and had 19 Arcadia Fellows;
- Author of a widely-read history of the Internet;
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts mainly because I was a member of the group that drafted the Society’s Adelphi Charter on Creativity, Innovation and Intellectual Property;
- An investor in technology start-ups;
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Open Knowledge Foundation;
- Member of the Strategic Advisory Board of Bloomsbury Academic Publishing;
- Patron of the Cambridge Science Festival;
- A keen (nay fanatical) photographer;
- A grandfather (since November 2009).
My Blog is named after Vannevar Bush’s original concept of a system for associative linking which eventually was realised as hypertext and later as the World Wide Web. The story in told in some detail in my book, A Brief History of the Future: the origins of the Internet. Best email address for me: john.jnaughton [at] gmail.com